This project was for a media company which released a 7-episode docu-series. They have previously released a documentary movie which did well, so they are following up with a longer series.
The business model works like this:
- People sign up for free, limited-time access to the docu-series
- The signups go to the mailing list
- After the free period closes, there is an option to purchase the docu-series
My part in this was to drive as many people to sign up for the docu-series as possible. This client and I have worked together on the previous documentary and on a number of other projects.
Final Results for initial campaign: 5,526 Signups at $0.87 USD each in 14 days
Final Results for main campaign:
#1 Generate maximum number of leads from Facebook Advertising
#2 Test if advertising through affiliate accounts is more profitable (Update: was not more profitable)
- Email list growth
- Product sales
Drive traffic to client’s special offer.
Part 1 (Oct 31 – December, 2017)
- Oct 31 – Gathered existing website copy for project
- Various times: Skype calls, emails, research, prep
- Nov 16 – Reviewed past campaigns
- Nov 18 – Copied some research to a new note file to start writing ads
- Nov 20 – Writing ads, uploading them to starter campaign. Sent pixel details to client’s web manager to upload to site.
- Nov 21 – Writing ads, uploading to starter campaign.
- Nov 22 – Writing ads, testing links
- Nov 23 – Creating targeting, building ad sets and audiences
- Nov 24 – More targeting, ad sets, and audiences. Launch campaign.
- Nov 25 – Total Leads to date: 434 leads. $1.26 USD lead cost to date. Checking ad performance. Making adjustments to campaign.
- Nov 26 – Total Leads to date: 937 leads. $1.17 USD lead cost to date. Tracking individual ad performance over various ad sets. Making campaign adjustments.
- Nov 27 – Total Leads to date: 1375 leads. $1.16 USD lead cost to date. Reallocating budget, adjusting campaign.
- Nov 28 – Total Leads to date: 1680 leads.Reallocating budget, adjusting campaign. New ad set for engaged on client page. Testing out some ad set tweaking strategies.
- Nov 29 – Dec 10 – Project Finished up on the 10th. Main promotion was for first 14 days. After that, it was re-targeting existing signups for sales.
Part 2 (Jan 2018 – February 2018)
- Jan 26 – Ready to launch later today.
- Jan 27 – Total Leads (for new campaign) to date: 1,878 leads. $1.09 USD lead cost to date.
- Jan 28 – Total Leads (for new campaign) to date: 3,237 leads. $1.08 USD lead cost to date.
If affiliate spending isn’t working, reduce spend in that area.
- Affiliate spending wasn’t as profitable as normal spending.
- Previous ad campaigns
- Facebook pages, website
- Video content, website copy, website images
- Access to experts in field
- Video skills, goodwill in market
- Affiliate ad accounts and pages